Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Three

I don't think I've done much abstract art. I honestly can't recall the last time I've done some. Last week a series of pencil sketches led to some shape then to some color exploration. The result are these 3 paintings on 8" x 8" cradled panels. They kept me very busy and my mind was involved more so than ever before. I'm quite pleased with the outcome, I don't think I've worked so hard on any of my previous paintings. What do you think of these?I've finished off the sides of the panels differently. Normally I would extend the color of the paintings over the sides, click here to see. This time I decided to paint it a wood color, looks like it's framed, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Novi, Minna here. I really like these. I guess I've always been a bit more 'absract'person myself -maybe because I have found it hard myself to make something 'picturelike' but also because I find abstract pictures more interesting to look at, in a way that you can look at them longer.. and find new perspectives each time you look at them. I do not typically try to interpret them too much, just enjoy the forms and colors.

    In these I like how the tree pieced form a series, yet all of them are very different. The 'wood' framing is clever idea. I guess there is something behind having picture frames - an other color enhances the subject and brings it even more out. Of course the background can also function that way. Anyways, I like the frame of these as well and if you have similar wood color in the living room otherwise, I am sure they look great.

    Somehow making abstract art, I have experienced that the piece leads you and you are part of it, it wants to become something and I've been only helping it to come out. Have you got such a feeling?

    For me peace and balance are important when having something like this, I think you reached that well with The Three. There is color and energy in the forms, yet they are still peaceful.

    /Minna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Minna, I felt at peace with myself when I was working on the 3 pieces but I also felt very involved throughout the process, I guess the energy and peacefulness showed through.

    About abstract art leading the creative process, Yes I shared the feeling as I refined the shapes and colors. I find abstract art gave me the freedom to experiment, it is what you make of it. It challenged me to discover new areas, pushed boundaries and broaden my horizons. I enjoyed the process very much. It taught me how to look at things from a different perspective.

    /Novi

    ReplyDelete