Thursday, February 18, 2010

China Midweek Escape

Hello Thursday! Today we escape to China! In October 2007, we visited several Chinese cities and took over 18,000 pictures. Yes, I went camera crazy and I've decided to share my China pictures with you. Of course there will be some serious editing, only premium content will be shown! So every week we scoot off to China in one of my posts.

Beijing is our first stop. We found a hotel near the tourist attractions and public transportation. The first day we took the Beijing Subway and two stops later, arrived at the Forbidden City. I saw some pictures of this ancient place before but they did not reveal its sheer magnitude in scale. Building after building, hallway after hallway, it was endless. We ended up wandering the area the entire day.
I found it hard to believe I was walking through what used to be the Emperor's residence.
Below: In the background one of the buildings was fenced off and renovations underway for the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics.
The changing of the entrance guards, who kept the crowd moving at a steady pace into the Forbidden City.
We were there after the first week of October which is a Chinese Public Holiday. Most crowds have returned home but there are still some local tourists.
One of the locals told me, with the stronger economy, China is seeing a fair amount of Chinese touring the country, something not seen during Communist times.
The sun decided to peek out at the end of the day.
It brought out the colors of the buildings.
The area promptly closes at 5 pm, so we hurried through several courtyards to return to the entrance.

Next week on China, more to come on the Forbidden City. Hmmm... I wonder what's in the buildings?

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. Can't wait for the next post. Suanne and I had never been to China before but would certainly want to some day. I read somewhere that the palaces are basically empty. The treasures of the palace was taken by the CKS when he retreated to Taiwan. Not sure if that is absolutely true but that's what I recall reading somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben and Suanne: Thanks! China is definitely worth a visit. I will do my best to be informative about hotels and tips, feel free to ask if you have any questions. I heard some of the palace treasures are in Taiwan too, and some are scattered around the world like at the British Museum. I don't regard this as bad, it may generate interest and more visits to China.

    ReplyDelete