Tuesday, January 24, 2012

China Postcard Day 24 Hong Kong Museum of History

Hello Tuesday! I know it's normally Thursdays we go to China but I thought we'd get a head start this week. I spent most of last Thursday and all of my weekend in bed resting, getting over some cold symptoms but I'm much better now and an escape to China is just what the doctor ordered right now!

We are on Day 24 of our China journey, it is our last day in Hong Kong and also the final day of our visit. I've mentioned before there are just a couple more posts to go but looking over the pictures on this day, I think there might be a few more posts left. I can't believe the number of pictures I took on this trip, more than 18,000 and looking back at the past year of Hong Kong posts most of the photos were taken there. I don't know why that is, perhaps because it was the last week of our trip and recording each and every step was a way to savor the journey we had dreamed of for quite some time.

Without further delay, let's embark on this final day! We decided to spend it near our hotel again, the Tsim Sha Tsui area was filled with all kinds of museums, this time the Museum of History caught our interest. Pictured below just steps away from the entrance, a long flight of stairs led the way to a tiled courtyard.
On our right there was a pair of blue and pink buildings, joined together in the middle with interlocking blocks of color, a captivating architectural feature.
The camera lowered to capture the ground tiles, bold lines a graphic detail to match the equally structured buildings in the background.
On the left the tall construction in the distant caught my eye.
A closer look revealed a rather futuristic design with antenna looking rods at the very top. I think this is one of the most unique structures we came across in China.
Our focus returned to the entrance at the Hong Kong Museum of History, it was surrounded by lush greenery, a common landscaping feature we noticed in Hong Kong.
Inside the museum, wide open spaces greeted us, we marvelled at this layout, its ceiling spotlights and color palette comparable to a grand hotel lobby.
The museum started off with a caveman exhibit, followed by pre-British to British colonization era, there was mention of the 3 year Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, which later led to modern day period. Some displays involved loud audio which we found too noisy and annoying, there were also lots of small theaters that played short documentaries. We didn't watch any of it, instead we strolled by and absorbed as much info as we could and took no pictures until we came to the map of land reclamation below. Different colors indicated various reclaimed areas throughout the years, the project started in 1841 as shown by the darker colors, it ended in 2000 with the lighter blue. Land is precious for a small country like Hong Kong.
Everything else we came across was a blur but I remembered my favorite part of the museum was the retro era. Check out the 1960's seats in the cafe below, love that yellow color, I counted 3 different patterns for the tiles on the walls and floors. This must be a cool area to hang out, I imagined customers of various ages seated here and there, munching on a piece of French toast, sipping milk tea or coffee as they flipped through the daily papers for the latest buzz.
In the corner of the coffee shop a shiny little juke box, what kind of music would they be listening to? My mind wondered as my eyes admired the vintage posters on the wall. 
A snapshot from the past, captured below a typical corner store where one could get their fix of cookies or candy, an occasional soft drink and ice cream, various canned goods or dried foods. There was one just like this from where we used to live in Singapore, oh how I longed for their spicy tapioca chips... 
A display of old items, metal serving trays with bright designs, one had a British crown, another a Chinese double happiness character which might be part of a bride's dowry. I noticed the tiffin carriers at the top, fond memories of family picnics included these as valuable porters of delicious homemade food. The rattan collection on the right was equally memorable, we had the one that had a long handle ending with coils. No mattress sunning chore would be complete without it, it was an excellent tool for beating out the dust from the kapok mattress.
Another favored exhibit was titled Made in Hong Kong, a section that commemorated the manufacturing era of this country, hard working citizens made everything from shoes to clothing...
... schoolbags, ties, toys, torch lights. Come to think of it, I had a metal torchlight just like that as a child, it was heavy to begin with but with 4 D batteries required for operation boy was it hefty!
Small household appliances were produced as well, like this solar pressure lantern below. How does it operate?
Inching down the row of displays we came to a row of product logos, I could not take my eyes off that capital letter A, simple and bold, it was unforgettable like an object of everlasting quality.
More trademarks below, I am amazed by the various illustration styles and fonts, although red seems to be the popular color.
The displays finally came to an end, we headed out to catch a breath of fresh air. The tidy looking courtyard greeted us again, we glanced briefly at the pink and blue buildings and continued on our way. What else is there to do on this last day in China... more adventures to be continued next week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Novi, good to hear you won the battle with the flu. 18,000 photos! That is such a big figure I cannot imagine.But I must say I am even more impressed of your detailed memory and the way you have analysed things. How something reminds you of something from your past and so on. Last day of China trip... ooh, I get the same feeling as you taking the photos. One does not want it to end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Minami: Thanks for stopping by! I too am surprised at the number of things I remembered about the China trip, I guess it's true what they say, pictures speak a thousand words. It has been more than 4 years ago since we were there, I guess the memories grew fonder as time went by. It has been such a good trip I'm glad I'm able to share.

    ReplyDelete