Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Making Tuesday: Ginkgo Biloba Leaves

In the neighborhood where George lives all the trees were shedding their leaves, including a Ginkgo biloba tree. It stood there in the rain, amongst its fallen companions, all of them bright yellow and cheery despite the grey weather. "We've got to collect some of them on our way home," I said to Dave, and that was what we did after a leisurely visit with our friend George.

I took a good look at my little collection when we got home, fresh and fertile from the rain water, they lay drying on a piece of tissue. I've always liked their shape and I wanted to paint them right away, but it was only after a few days before there was enough time. By then, the leaves had shrivelled up a bit but the golden hue remained with hints of green and deep orange. It took about 2 hours for the painting to complete, extra attention was spent to include all the colors I saw, but the final detail was in the shadows, soon as that was added the painting was complete. Size is 7.5" x 11".




4 comments:

  1. This is really B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! So delicate. The shadows make the leaves look real and magical at the same time. Really good piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Minami. I surprise myself with this piece, it has been so long since I painted with watercolors, but the colors came by naturally, the shadows was a quick paint too. Sometimes things go smoothly you forget that sometimes simple is the best way to go.

      Delete
  2. I really like these. And by looking at it; I couldn't tell it is made with water colors. I've always found the water colors challenging as you only have "one chance" and you cannot fix things that easily. You know, for some people things don't come always so naturally! :) But really, I repeat myself but these leaves are beautiful, more beautiful than the original ones, I bet! I hope you frame these golden leaves and they find a nice place at your home. Many times autumn leaves are connected with sadness, but these are very happy leaves. They look as they were golden for real :) Says the fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find watercolors challenging as well, it is true you only have one go at it, but that makes you better as an artist so you edit the image and refine the colors as well. I like this painting as well, and I find the better results seem to take less time than the ones that require a lot more effort. I don't know why this is, maybe it has to do with painting with the flow? I want to frame this piece as well, I have a frame in mind but I have to find the time to get a custom mat! Thank you so much for your lovely comments Minami, I do appreciate them.

      Delete