Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Making Tuesday: Personal Critique

Hello Tuesday! It is now cool and cloudy but not raining, there is some brightness, at least I'd like to think the sun is trying to peak through, the weather is quite enjoyable at the moment.

There has been a few posts on watercolor paintings, I used to paint in watercolors ages ago but they made a comeback recently for no apparent reason. I thank you again for your lovely comments on the paintings, they are much appreciated and very encouraging. But truth to the matter, not all the paintings were as successful as the ones posted.

After the creation of Gingko Biloba Leaves, I got into my head that every painting after that would be better, better in what way I do not know. This added some undesired pressure which made it difficult to get the creative process going. The piece below is the first of my idle attempts, I wanted the leaf to be bright like the ginko biloba, but it turned out too flashy and unreal. Due to the lighting situation its shadow was unrealistic, though the dark blue outlines of the shell was quite good, the painting turned out looking rather disjointed.




The second effort was an oak leaf, I tried so hard to match the colors the effort took too long and by the end there was little energy spent on the shadow, the result was unfavorable.








One more go at a different oak leak, the midrib was a most awkward shape... I didn't bother finishing the piece!

So why do I show these paintings? Because art is a learning process, it is important to move past the fruitless trials and strive forward. If I had not done this, Of Land and Sea would not have existed. This is something I find very interesting about the creative affair, I like the possibility of gaining knowledge and new skills each time I work on a project. And on this note, I bid you farewell and see you next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment